Thursday, April 30, 2020

BNMIT - Takes Learning Beyond The Classroom


Where Learning Is Not Confined To The Four Walls!



Workshops are acknowledged as prime focus at BNM Institute of Technology in order to place education in a higher orbit; to boost the skill and expertise of the faculty and students; and to meet industry expectations. This forms imperative teaching and learning process.

In the past, workshops were one dimensional. Participants witnessed resource persons come and go; learning was limited to the four walls of the classrooms, and certificates added another bullet point in the list of the skill sets of the participant’s profile.

But in BNMIT, as the participants progress from one enrichment program to another, they realize that these ‘Workshops’ at BNMIT are not just in words but in kind. It gives room for teachers to validate their own philosophy of teaching. One such workshop still lingers in my memory.

It was one of those FDP workshops on Communication Enrichment that BNM conducts at the end of every semester. A chosen team of facilitators spindled our minds into creative thinking. While discussing the importance of networking in communication skills, one of the tasks given to the faculty was to come up with effective networking methods. Each of the participants had to mention one particular means of networking that helped them build a rapport.

Interestingly, every participant had established a bond at different levels which did not take long to gush to their memory. While one participant found social media as a strikingly effective platform for networking, another related to conference and webinars. A few other participants narrated how they were revered by student’s parents who agreed to come as a guest speaker and enrich students on myriad areas of Technology.

I recollected the everlasting rapport that I had built with a few of my associates during my travel. With the help of an anecdote, I explained how travelling could be added to the list of networking platforms. It was on a Saturday evening, after completing my afternoon teaching sessions in the college, I was rushing to get into the evening train to Dharwad. I had two goals to achieve. I had a paper presentation scheduled in an International Seminar at Karnatak University, Dharwad (KUD) and at the same time meet my parents who resided in Dharwad.

I got into the first-class coupe a few minutes before the train chugged. I saw an elderly couple and a lady sitting before me. After I settled down, I got busy with my files and papers. Soon we struck a conversation. They were proud to learn that I was into Presentations and Seminars. “Our Karnataka daughters stand out in every field” they fondly remarked. Now, it was dinner time. To my dismay, I realized that I had not carried my dinner. The couple, with great warmth, coaxed me to share their dinner. I was moved. It was a journey that created an everlasting bond. We still stay in touch and the gentleman who is a journalist often shares his knowledge with me.

Networking is a platform that takes learning outside the classroom and teaches universal human values. This highlights that teaching and learning at BNMIT is not limited to the edifice.

 Ms Shashi Prabha
  Assistant Professor
  BNM Institute of Technology

DISCLAIMER: The material on this website is not to be used by any commercial or personal entity without expressed written consent of the blog author. The author does not in any way guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any message and will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, workshops for Faculty Development are critical to improve the overall development of the Institution

    ReplyDelete