Sunday, May 17, 2020

Technical English - For Educators; 1) Communicate with a Panache!





Follow these 9 tips to light up the room



1) Introduce yourself professionally

A good introduction is a gateway to a good classroom relationship!

In the educational landscape, research proves that academic success hinges on a constructive relationship between teacher and student. As an Educator, developing a professional introduction style can help one ‘Rule the Room’. An introduction may be required on the first day of a traditional classroom, a virtual classroom, or over the phone. An effective introduction can break the ice, display the educator’s abilities, and disseminate the goals by giving a clear roadmap.  Once the rapport is established the educator builds trust and creates an aura of safe and amicable atmosphere for students to express themselves fearlessly.

Since Introduction forms the lifeline of communication, let’s develop the Panache that will help us to communicate with supreme skills and leave a lasting impression. It is good to be brief and refrain from bragging. Then allow students to introduce themselves. A powerful introduction includes the essential information given below.

1.      Share a glimpse of your background and summarise your professional standard.
2.     Elaborate on your experiences and achievements.
3.      Conclude by leading into the next part of your plan. Provide essential guidelines that you expect the students to follow.

Keeping a checklist of items to be covered on the first day can make you organized and feel confident.
*      Introduce yourself.
*      Request the Students to introduce themselves.
*      Discuss and formulate the room environment together.
*      (Students must be free to ask questions and respect for each other must prevail)
*      Display the Course Overview
*      Departmental requirements/expectations
*      Expectations for class time
*      Expectations outside of class
*      Faculty responsibilities
*      Student responsibilities
*      Assessment system
*      Familiarise them with the value of cooperation, clear communication, and timely submissions
*      Form groups if required

         Familiarise yourself with a formal speaking style

I)                Choose the phrase that is used in formal conversation out of the given options.

1.      I live in Bengaluru, but earlier I lived in Bombay in my childhood.
2.      I grew up in Bombay, but now I live in Bengaluru.

3.      I have lived in Bengaluru for 3 years.
4.       I have been living in Bengaluru since 3 years.

5.      I work in Google in the Marketing Department.
6.      I work at Google in the Marketing Department.

7.      I have graduated with a Master’s of Arts Degree from Bengaluru University.
8.      I have passed out of Bengaluru University with a Master’s of Arts Degree.

9.      My job is Assistant Professor in BNMIT.
10.   I work as an Assistant Professor at BNMIT.

             Answers: 2,3, 6, 7, 10

II)                Select the best option for a formal conversation when talking about your career and experience.

1.      I am currently taking a course in AI.
2.      I am currently taking a course on AI.

3.      I am currently taking a course in Jewelry making.
4.      I am currently taking a course on jewelry making.

5.      I have completed a 70-hours course.
6.      I have completed a 70-hour course.

7.      I have attended a 3-day workshop.
8.      I have attended a 3 days’ workshop.

9.      I did work in the marketing field for 3 years.
10.  I have worked in the marketing field for 3 years.

Answers: 1, 4 (for hands-on), 6, 7, 10

III)  Select the appropriate option when speaking about your family and your hobby

1.      We are four in our family.
2.      We are a family of four.

3.      I am one of four siblings.
4.      I am one out of the four siblings.

5.      I like very much Tennis playing.
6.       I  am a keen Tennis player.

7.      Talking about hobbies, I really like reading a lot
8.      I am an avid reader and I spend much of my spare time reading Mystery books. (be specific)

9.       What interests me most is challenging tasks that help me unleash my potential.
10.   I like to take up challenges in life.

               Answers: 2, 3,6,8,9

IV)          speaking over the phone:

Choose the formal phrase from the 2 options when answering a phone:

1.      Hello!
2.      Good Morning! This is Sim speaking from Cambridge English. How may I help you?

When the caller is unknown and has not introduced him/her

3.       Good Morning! Sim speaking ……and who are you?
4.       Good Morning! Cambridge English; ….. May I know who’s calling, please? (mention the company name)

When you want to ask for someone

5.       Oh sorry! (You hang the phone when someone else answers.) 
6.       May I speak to Mr.Yash in the H R Department?

Answers: 2, 4, 6

Note: Never hang the phone when someone else answers. Ask for the person whom you wanted to speak. If it is a wrong number, say so.

When connecting someone 
7.      One moment, please. 
8.      Hold the line please. I’ll put you through to the manager.

When making a request

9.      Could you spell that for me?
10.  Would you mind spelling that for me?

11.  Speak loudly. I can’t hear you.
12.  Could you please speak up a little? I’m afraid you are not audible.

When taking a message

13.  I’m sorry, Mr.Yash is not here at the moment. Can I take a message?
14.  He just left the office. I’ll tell him when he is back.

When leaving a message

15.  Could you please give Mr. Yash this message.
16.  Could you please let him know that Yasha had called.
                  
                   When confirming a message

17.  Let me repeat that; you are Mr. Yash at 2222 4443. Thank you!
18.  Please repeat, while I check the message.

            
       Ending a Call

19.  Have a great day!
20.  Is there anything else you would like us to do? … Thank you for calling and have a great day.

         Answer: both 7 and 8, both 9 and 10, 12, 13, both 15 and 16, 17, both 19 and 20


        Enjoy your conversations!! and please don't miss the other 8 posts.


 Ms. Shashi Prabha
 Assistant Professor
 BNM Institute of Technology


DISCLAIMER: The material on this website is not to be used by any commercial or personal entity without expressed written consent of the blog author. The author does not in any way guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any message and will not be held responsible for the content of any message


9 comments:

  1. Excellent series on Enrichment of English skills! Keep it rolling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good information and very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have displayed a very good English enrichment and speaking talents through your blog which is very useful to those who love Englishfor excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Shashi,
    I have gone through articles in your blog and very much pleased to note that you have very excellently displayed your talent as professor of English and also as blogger.you have very vividly dealt with technicality of English and opened up gateway for those who wish to enrich their English.I am very much gratified that you have such tremendous knowledge and wish all the God's choicest blessings be showered on you.
    Keep in touch as usual.
    Regards.
    Shrinivas Kulkarni
    Writer and journalist. 21/05/2020

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh How inspiring! Coming from a writer and a journalist, I am elated. Thank you.

      Delete